Thursday 29 November 2012

Interview: Isabel Morin


What have you had published?
I’ve published a full-length historical novel called “No Other Love” and a contemporary novella called “Tempt Me.”
What genre(s) of book do you write?
Strictly romance these days, though within that I write historical and steamy contemporary.
What inspired you to write your first book?
I’ve been reading romances since I was around thirteen. I started writing seriously in my twenties, but I was only writing poetry. At a certain point I really wanted to try fiction because I love the total immersion I get from it, and the most enjoyable thing I could think of to write was romance. I started with a historical because I’ve always loved the extra layer of escapism another time period allows. Little did I realize how much research there would be!
How long did it take you to write ‘Tempt Me’?
About six months. I have a full-time job, so I have to write around that.
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
My next book, another contemporary novella, will be called “Set Loose” and it’ll be out by Christmas. I think people who liked “Tempt Me” will like this one too.
When and why did you begin writing?
I’m not sure why I began writing. I was always a big reader and liked expressing myself through words. My whole family reads and writes a lot.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I self-publish. I was offered a contract for “Set Loose” by a digital publisher, but in the end decided to do it myself again.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Beginning a new story. I’m very slow and do a lot of starting and stopping at first. It’s not until I have the characters really worked out that I get in a good groove, and that can take a while.
What do you do in your spare time?
I read, watch Netflix with my husband (we’re very into the old British spy show “Danger Man,” and we’re waiting for new seasons of “Downton Abbey” and “Justified.”) We also just started playing backgammon and I think we’re addicted. When it’s nice out I like to garden and go for a walk or bike ride.
Who is your favourite author?
I can’t name just one. A few of my favorite romance authors are Julie James, Cara McKenna, Abigail Strom, Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Lisa Kleypas.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
I read equal amounts of romance and literary fiction.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
I don’t think I know anything that other writers haven’t said before. I guess I’d just say to write what you love to read and find a good critique partner.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment