Tuesday 16 April 2013

Interview: Genie Davis


What have you had published?  
I've had four books published previously to Executive Impulse including Dreamtown, which is literary fiction with a noir feel, Five O'Clock Shadow, and The Model Man, both of which are romantic suspense, and Rodeo Man which is a novella and part of an anthology of erotica, The Cowboy. Later this year, I'll have a mystery, Marathon, released in November in hard cover, and another fun romantic suspense title, Under Covers, in October.
What genre(s) of book do you write? 
Frankly, whatever people want to buy, :) I write romantic suspense, mysteries, thrillers, supernatural thrillers, and literary fiction.
What inspired you to write your first book?
Dreamtown was my first novel. It was based on a screenplay of mine which went to option but ultimately didn't get actually produced, and I was attached to the story.
How long did it take you to write “Executive Impulse”? 
About four months.
What is the working title of your next book(s)? 
Bliss
When and why did you begin writing? 
I wrote poetry as a teen, wrote corporate media and non-fiction articles, wrote for television, wrote for film...began writing novels because I had more control over the story; began writing creatively honestly as a legacy of sorts. I would like to be remembered as a fun read.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
While I am presently unagented (I have had a number of reps over the years), I am not indie published. The three books, including the current title which is published by Crimson, I sold to publishers who did not require an agent as gate keeper. Will I indie publish? Yes, at some point, probably sooner rather than later.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
At this point in my life, finding the focus to rewrite projects when I am also working as  a ghostwriter on other people's projects or writing non-fiction.
What do you do in your spare time?
Go to movies! Lots and lots of movies! Go to the beach, take walks along the ocean with friends and family, pet my cats.
Who is your favourite author?
I have several: my dear friend Pauline Baird Jones, Kate Douglas, Sebastian Faulks, Kem Nunn, Nick Hornsby.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
Depends on my mood. Literary fiction, mysteries, thrillers, romances.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
Just sit down and write, seriously. The rest will take care of itself. Or not. The point is you can only succeed on your own terms. Put the words on the screen.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Executive Impulse is a fun read, a kind of cross between Elmore Leonard and Janet Evanovich. Only sexy. Hope y'all will enjoy the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment