Thursday 4 April 2013

Interview: Steve Brandsdorfer


What have you had published?
Last year, I released my first novel The Never Fable. Drive-Thru Shoes is my second work.
What genre(s) of book do you write?
My first novel I think can be considered a psychological thriller, but with a touch of magical realism and alternative history. Drive-Thru Shoes is a romance at its core. The two works couldn’t be more different, and that variety is something I strive for.
What inspired you to write your first book?
The process actually began with the intention of a fantasy trilogy, an ambitious retelling of world history that just struck me one day. Overtime as the characters became more real to me, they grew more realistic and the focus narrowed. I was 22 when I began that and I don’t think I realized at the time that I was beginning a 6 year project that would teach me how to truly write and edit. If I had, who knows.
How long did it take you to write “Drive-Thru Shoes”?
Not long. I wrote the first draft in a few weeks. It was the editing and the website design and programming that dragged on for months afterward.
What is the working title of your next book(s)?
Not sure. A Depravity of Revenants, maybe.
When and why did you begin writing?
My sister was working in publishing at the time, and I actually think the first suggestion was hers. We were living together in Brooklyn and when she told me that I should write a novel I knew it was true. I think I began a few years of research that same week.
Do you self publish your books or go through an agency?
I have self-published both of my works. Not sure if I will do that again.
What part of writing books do you find the hardest?
Finding the time when motivation and readiness are up for each other.
What do you do in your spare time?
My wife and I travel fairly often these days. When we are home, I like to watch movies, cook and read mostly.
Who is your favourite author?
I’ve never had one. Right now, I’m reading Bukowski short stories.
What’s your favourite genre to read?
The genre that sucks me in most is Fantasy. For me nothing can make an hour or entire night blink by faster than good Fantasy.
Do you have any advice for other writers?
I’m not sure if I’m qualified for that, but if I am, I’d say that honesty is the key.
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
That’s the toughest question of the bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment